In Ayurveda diet plays an important role. The power supply is strongest when it is taken in the right combinations and tailored to the person who eats them.
Ayurvedic cuisine is special in the way recipes are made with regard to the exotic taste, smell, color and composition.
The Ayurvedic kitchen we can not be confused with the tangy and spicy Indian cuisine. In Indian cuisine is not looked at the physical and mental constitution of the person is often thought that vegetarian food is tasteless and not nourishing.
Ayurvedic cuisine shows the contrary. People always enjoyed a meat meal accumulated and transfer to the Ayurvedic cuisine often experience positive changes in their health and also a huge satisfaction and gratification.
Subtle spices and flavors are especially important for health at a deeper level and a more fundamental sense of wellbeing. One could say that the Ayurvedic cuisine is a therapeutic kitchen. (Source: The Ayurvedic Cookbook by Amadea Morningstar and Urmila Desai)
The six flavors
Six flavors are used in Ayurvedic food: sweet, sour, salty, pungent, bitter and astringent. In this chapter we discuss the tastes, the main spices, a food list and to reduce vata and common phrases.
- Dosha 's calms vata and pitta , stimulates kapha ;
- Elements of earth and water;
- Features greasy - cold - heavy;
- Qualities - gives happiness, vitality and accomplishment - calms the mind - is easily absorbed by the body - gives stability;
- Sweet is in - rice, dahl, sugar, milk, butter, cereals oils, ghee, cream, sweeteners;
- Overdose - heavy, bloated feeling - sloth and sleep - inhibits appetite and digestion - give lazy bowel - mucus - cause kapha-like - disorders / diseases - obesity and diabetes - Slow mind - nasal congestion;
- Contra-indication - diabetes - respiratory symptoms - low thyroid function;
- Kapha people are naturally happy and fulfilled quickly. The kapha-like taste sweet has the same quality. An angry baby calms milk and sweet flavors. Fresh pitta extinguishes the fire.
If sweet is taken in the right amount, it can be very satisfying. For example something sweet after a meal is satisfying. A taste always has a spiritual effect on the body. Sweet can bring up the rest of vata nervous energy. Often we seek our comfort in sweets and giving children a sop. Sweet has a calming effect, but unfortunately gives a lot of problems when we eat too much of it. Honey has many bitter in itself and is particularly well suited to balance kapha.
- Doshas - vata-lowering, pitta and kapha increasing;
- Elements - earth and fire;
- Features - soil is heavy and greasy acid is light, hot and humid;
- Qualities - improves the taste of food - stimulates digestion - is refreshing - clears the mind, makes lively, late awakening mind - reduces gas - activates the salivary glands - regulates bowel movement;
- Acid - is in tomato, lemon, citrus fruits, acidic fruits, vinegar, cheese, yogurt;
- Overdose - increases pollution in the blood - acidification may give problems as heartburn, peptic ulcer - skin irritations - burning sensation throat, chest, heart and body - can induce inflammation;
- Contraindication - skin diseases - stomach inflammation - jaundice - internal bleeding, heavy menstruation.
Mentally, the taste is sour us "shake up", give any clarification. Acid stimulates consciousness. Acid increased pitta, it should be quenched with a lot of water, thereby it can contribute to the retention of moisture. The sharp features of pitta increase, also clarity and insight. Too many passes acidification (sourpuss). The acid of cheese and yoghurt is by fermentation. Ayurveda is not in favor of this.
- Doshas lowers vata, pitta and kapha increases;
- Elements of water and fire;
- Properties - Water is heavy, increases kapha - fire is hot and increases pitta - sharp, corrosive liquid;
- Qualities - brings digestion going - removes blockages in the body - vata and reduces stiffness and contraction - activates the saliva - purifies the blood vessels - in normal use a grounding effect, calming - adds flavor to the food;
- Salt in fish, sea vegetables, chips, all kinds of salt;
- Overdose - indicates thirst - indicates burning sensation - aggravates skin infections - brings pitta diseases caused - retain moisture - high blood pressure;
- Contra-indication - skin diseases - edema - high blood pressure, to bring the body fluids in the war - stomach inflammation - ulcers.
Too much is if you use more than 5 grams per day. The effect of salt on the human mind varies greatly. A small amount can have a grounding effect. Some people when they use too much salt excessive structural, others may desire really to increase sensory pleasure. Think of the addictiveness of chips. Salt attracts water to itself, thereby aggravating the tissues and thus increases kapha. Salt makes you eat more. If you take one saltine you always want more. It's addicting!
- Doshas increases pitta and vata, kapha decreases;
- Elements air and fire;
- Features light, hot and dry;
- Qualities - purifies the blood, removes bacteria - stimulates digestion - give clarity to the senses - reduce obesity - helps remove sticky substances from the body - to itch;
- Sharp is in cayenne pepper, chilli, radish, garlic, onion, ginger;
- Overdose - irritation and anger - weight loss - weakness - burning sensations in the body;
- Contraindication - pitta disorders - gastritis - high blood pressure - kidney problems.
The sharp taste gives a strong movement in the spiritual realm. Sharp can motivate someone and move when used in moderation. Too much may give unreasonable anger. It depends on the constitution, which is too much. By cutting the production of fluids is stimulated. Sweat, tears, saliva, mucus, blood will flow. The sinuses are flushed. Irritable pitta people are already sharp and must be used with this flavor.
- Doshas increases vata, pitta and kapha decreases;
- Elements air, and ether;
- Features dry, cold and light;
- Qualities - purifying and anti-bacterial - reduces skin inflammation - reduces burning and itching - removes toxins from the body;
- Bitter is in aloe, hops, passion flora, turmeric, green leafy vegetables, fenugreek, chicory, coffee;
- Overdose - dryness and roughness in the body - depletion of body tissues - brings roughness in the barrels - vata disease - diet;
- Contraindication - vata disturbances.
Bitter cold gives an idea of what the taste is the mental aspect. Mentally bitter helps us to see something better. In various cultures were used bitter herbs during spiritual journeys. Ingestion in large quantities gives a sense of disappointment and sadness. Bitter can take corrective action with inflammation, heat, and irritations (pitta-disturbances)
- Doshas increases vata, pitta and kapha decreases;
- Elements air and earth;
- Features dry, cooling and lighting;
- Qualities - calming - stop diarrhea - give sleep and inertia - purifies the body eliminates toxins - anti-inflammatory - contracts, constricted blood vessels;
- Harsh is in honey, nettle, nutmeg, sesame (sweet - bitter - bitter) unripe banana, beans, lentils, cabbage, potato, cauliflower;
- Overdose - dry mouth, reduces the flow of saliva - constipation - inhibits the circulation in the vessels - does lose weight - gives rigidity - indicates vata diseases;
- Contraindication vata disturbances.
Harsh brings you back to yourself. With fear, you get much contraction, blood vessels constrict, it becomes pale.
The main herbs
Ginger (VK, P +)
Very good herb for digestion, stimulates. Ginger is one of the few hot spices, which is also good for pitta. Very good for agni. The food is better absorbed, ginger is good for intestinal flora, helps to neutralize toxins. Ginger is good for colds and throat problems. Also called a universal medicine. Along with honey is good for kapha. Along with rock salt (table salt in the soil) is good for vata and along with candy is good for pitta. Dried ginger is hotter than fresh. Dried ginger is best to reduce kapha and increase agni. Fresh ginger has a stronger and sweat means more colds, coughs or disturbed vata. Ginger is good in arthritis, relieves flatulence and cramping in the abdomen, even when menstrual cramps.
- Boil some fresh ginger in water and drink it mouthful by step throughout the day to increase agni.
- Grate some fresh ginger root to about a teaspoon, add a teaspoon of lime juice. Swallow this immediately after dinner flatulence.
- Chew some grated ginger before meals to stimulate agni.
- Colds can make tea from fresh ginger with black pepper. Add honey after cooking.
- Cooking with ginger to stimulate agni.
Turmeric / turmeric (vpk =)
Turmeric is very bitter taste and therefore not too much to do in the food. Turmeric always be cooked. Very good to cleanse the blood. Turmeric neutralizes pesticides, dyes and bacteria in the food. It helps with inflammation, allergies, diabetes and throat problems. It stimulates digestion and is a natural antibiotic. Turmeric is a tonic for the skin and is widely used in India to clean the skin.
Coriander (vpk =)
The seeds of coriander have a mild taste and bring vata and pitta in balance. It works well with digestive problems, ao gas. Cleanses the blood. A good way to pitta disorders and urinary problems. Fresh juice can take with allergies, hay fever and rash, take a teaspoon three times a day.
Cinnamon (V K, p +)
Cinnamon has an antiseptic effect. Is good for colds and throat problems. Good for indigestion and flatulence, diarrhea and nausea. It has an astringent effect on the uterus, do not use during pregnancy. Heated up, for pitta so use sparingly. Has an expectorant effect on colds and flu. It relieves pain associated with a toothache. Strengthens the heart and warms the kidneys. Stimulates agni.
Mustard seeds (V K, p +)
Very hot and sharp. Pitta must caution them to go. Mustard is used for pain and provides better circulation. Mustard has a good effect on nervous problems. Stimulates digestion.
Cumin (vpk =)
Provides a full flavor to the food. Cumin has a soothing effect. Improves appetite and reduces pain and spasms in the digestive system. Black cumin seeds have a stronger effect.
Black pepper (p + VK)
for general use is the black pepper best. Works very well on the digestive fire. Improves the taste of food. It ensures that there is less ama is created in the body. Size the gastro-intestinal tract clean. Good with gas. For people with a pitta constitution does not take too much advice.
Asafoetida / asafoetida (VK, P +)
in India used in infants to protect against evil spirits. Asafoetida is then smeared on the head. The meal stimulates the agni, neutralizes toxins and goes against flatulence. Works against cramps. Asafoetida is resin of a tree, smell too strong and should not be used in food. To the beginning of the cooking process. It makes clean the intestinal flora.
Anise (V K, p +)
has a cleansing, disinfecting action. It promotes digestion. Can easily be used for cleaning the mouth after meals. It gives a fresh breath.
Garlic (V K, p +)
has a cleansing effect. Very good for vata and gas. By people who want spiritual growth, little used because it has a rajas quality. Pitta should not use too much garlic. Big help in ear, nose and ear problems and rheumatism.
Fennel (vpk =)
works very well on digestion, stimulates and awakens the appetite. Works well with a cold, promotes menstruation. One can chew some seeds after eating. Helps to reduce gases. Also good to use in children and elderly people with weak digestion.
In the urinary tract problems combine with coriander. Fennel combines well with cumin and coriander.
Clove (kv, p +)
Works antiseptic. Essential oil of cloves, you can press a cotton ball against a painful tooth. Is also sometimes used in toothpaste. In general, a good pain reliever. Whole cloves can cook tea. They neutralize the effect of black tea. Works well with colds and sinusitis. They drive cold from the body.
Cardamon (V K, p +)
has a refreshing effect. Cardamom seeds are aromatic, pungent, diuretic and cordial. They improve the odor of the breath, therefore they can chew after meals. Strengthening heart and lung functions and are good in asthma and bronchitis, in the throat and problems with the digestive system. Floats excess kapha from the stomach and lungs. Cardamom stimulates mind and heart and brings joy. You can add the milk, reducing the slime-forming quality. Cardamom detoxify the caffeine in coffee. Can be used by children in nervous digestive problems. Combines well with fennel. Helps vomiting, belching and acid regurgitation.
Nutmeg (V K, p +)
is used, the seeds of the nutmeg tree. The notes are sharp and increase pitta. Give energy. Economical use in food. It increases the absorption of substances in the small intestine. Reduces excess vata in the intestines. It calms the mind. One can take milk with a good night's sleep. Tamas is a quality and plentiful use makes the mind dull. Stilt cramps in the abdominal area.
Ui (VP, k +)
Is stimulant, diuretic and preventive against colds, pharyngitis, and cough.
Saffron (vpk =)
Has aphrodiserende operation. Can be used medicinally in menstrual problems. These works promoting. Strengthens the heart. It improves circulation and builds the blood.
Food List to reduce vata
This food list can be used as dietary advice and is not a diet. Nothing is black / white, of course. The "right" diet depends on many factors. You eat what you are and what you eat. Try the spirit of it to make your own. And look how ever this opinion fits into your life. You can also choose the path of gradualism. Watch your body and mind respond. Follow your own way.
Listen especially to the self that can be experienced in brightness. This list focuses on excess vata, which many people may face in the West. Vata is too much principle air or too much exercise, stress, overload of motion systems in the body, incorrect thinking.
Vata balancerend living and nutrition
Ensure regularity in your life. Make a rough schedule for your daily schedule so that you can keep it and do it consistently. Place them three meals at set times as a kind of anchor points.
Get plenty of rest of your days. Plan your work so that there is sufficient spread over the working and caring also for leisure / day (s), which are for you.
Get plenty of sleep, at least eight hours. Although you do not have to get up very early, sleeping late is not good unless exceptionally when you are very tired. It is better to get up at a normal time between 6:30 and 7:30 am and between 22:00 and 23:00 to go to bed. Clean only in exceptional cases later. When it is needed and it fits into your schedule, there is no objection to a short break in the early afternoon.
Take time for a morning ritual, eg a self-massage with warm (sesame) oil and then a long shower (poss. Stimulate chakras). When you meditate, it is good to do so now. Then Always breakfast. Consider lunch as the main meal and when that is not possible, see him at least as important. Spend there care. Lunch between 12:00 and 13:30. The evening meal, place between 18.00 and 19.30. Eating while not too particular. Better you shortly before bedtime take another small snack (22:00).
Vata-balancing diet, the taste sweet and salty. Think of not sweet at first (refined) sugar. Those are for vata's not so good. The sweet taste is also generated by the digestion of carbohydrates, such as grains. The flavors raise bitter and sour just the vatadosha. Because a good ayurvedic meal contains all six tastes (sweet, salty, sour, pungent, bitter and astringent / astringent) can be of different flavors or (very) small amounts of processing in the meal. The use of ghee and / or (sesame) oil in the meal is good. Please use the cold-pressed sesame oil you can buy organic / health food store.
Hot foods to soothe vata. Also hot herbal tea (eg gotu kola tea) is good. Gotu Kola (Asian Pennywort) is a vitalizing plant in many ways. Traditionally Gotu Kola used for the skin. In addition, is attributed to the Gotu Kola memory enhancing, potency enhancing, and energy enhancing properties.
Caffeine and theine are not suitable for vata. Try to limit or avoid alcohol as well. Warming spices are good for vata-meal. Fresh ginger is very good in tea, minced with salt as an appetizer, be cooked or baked. Warm milk is good for vata. Put a spoonful of honey.
By using preference *:
- Vegetables: asparagus, beets, turnips, cucumber, radish, green beans, onion / garlic (raw not), carrots, sweet potatoes;
- Legumes: peas, mung beans, lentils, tofu, soy (not too much)
- Fruits: apricots, pineapples, avocados, bananas, currants, dates, grapes, cherries, coconut, mango, melons, nectarines, peaches, plums, oranges (sweet), figs, ripe and sweet fruit iha
- Grains: oats, rice wheat;
- Dairy: all dairy products (but do not take yogurt or cottage cheese after dinner)
- Meat: chicken, turkey, fish and shellfish;
- Oils: all allowed. Sesame oil is preferred (see above)
- Sweeteners: all can, but in moderation. By using preference: pure honey than two tablespoons a day and never heat! Barley malt syrup, molasses, palm sugar, rice syrup (Oriza), fructose, maple syrup, sucanaat. Oersuiker very limited, but is the least harmful sugar. Limiting or avoiding: refined sugar, cane sugar, aspartame;
- Nuts / seeds: all may not, but in moderation. Almonds are preferred;
- Herbs: anise, basil, tarragon, mace, ginger, bay leaves, cinnamon, cumin, cloves, marjoram, mustard seed, nutmeg, oregano, sage, thyme, fennel, liquorice, black pepper (moderate)
For all other products, the right to restrict. Stewed in oil makes many vegetables for vata better suited. Avoid fruit with a bitter or sour taste, such as chicory. Avoid or limit raw vegetables. Also avoid cabbage and Brussels sprouts (gas is vata-increasing). No herbs like fenugreek, coriander, parsley, celery. Do not use unripe fruit. Also avoid red meat.
Many people fear that makes a vata-balancing dietary fat (sweet). It is not necessary. It is important therefore to meter the amount of food good. Especially the evening meal is less easily processed. Keep it limited. However, a small snack at 16.00 and 22.00 will not hurt at an empty feeling in the stomach.
* See Deepak Chopra: Balance in Your Life
- Asafoetida for use spiritual people instead of garlic, inhibits development. Asafoetida is blood cleansing like turmeric and coriander.
- Basil works fever-lowering.
- Cinnamon is good for flatulence, diarrhea, nausea and colds.
- Dill is the counterpart of the heartburn.
- Reduce or avoid: strong spices in large quantities and artificial substances.
- By preference use: water, herbal tea, herbal tea (bamboo, chicory, grain coffee, white coffee), potato juice, aloe juice, fruit and vegetable juices, soy milk, coconut milk.
- Limitations: Keep in mind the amount of fruit and juice which you drink. When a large amount of juice required to process your stomach kilos of fruit or vegetables, and this is an excess. The descent is very important: organic juice is highly preferred.
- Limit or avoid coffee, tea, alcohol, carbonated beverages, chocolate.
- Regarding flour should only biodynamic quality of Dutch descent or Kamut from the Andes.
- Preferably fresh, unsprayed fruit. Fruit as many food separately from other food and especially before the main meal (at least one hour before or after a meal).
- Eat cooked vegetables.